Let me start with this is absolutely hidden, you need to do the VAT refund BEFORE you check your luggage (even thou the refund line is hidden right behind the check luggage counter but it is before security)
From high-street fashion to quintessential British souvenirs, shopping in the United Kingdom can be an absolute delight for international tourists. But did you know you could get a sizable portion of your spending back? That’s right, through the Value Added Tax (VAT) refund process, non-European Union residents can claim back the tax paid on goods purchased during their visit. This guide will walk you through the VAT refund process at London’s Heathrow Airport.
The Value Added Tax (VAT) is a consumption tax added to most goods and services in the UK. For visitors from outside the UK, a refund for VAT paid on goods (not services) bought for personal export can be claimed. The rate of VAT varies, but for many goods, it is currently 20%.
Eligibility for VAT Refund
- You must be a visitor from outside the UK.
- The goods must be purchased from a retailer offering the VAT Retail Export Scheme.
- The goods must be exported from the UK by the last day of the third month following the month of purchase.
How to Claim Your VAT Refund at Heathrow
- At the Store: When making a purchase, inform the retailer that you wish to claim a VAT refund. They will provide you with a VAT 407 form or a VAT Retail Export Scheme sales invoice.
- Pack Smart: Ensure that the goods are unused and packed in a way they can be conveniently presented for inspection at the airport, if required.
- At Heathrow: Arrive at the airport in good time. Before checking in your luggage, go to the Travelex VAT Refund desks located in each terminal at Heathrow. Present your completed form, receipts, passport, and goods, if asked. Travelex can process your refund in your preferred choice of currency, or you could opt to put it on a credit card.
- Security and Beyond: Once your form is validated, proceed to security. If your form was not digitally processed and stamped by Travelex (due to the office being closed, for example), you can use the VAT refunds postal box available after security. Enclose your validated form in the envelope provided by the retailer and post it. The refund will be processed by the retailer in due course.
Tips to Remember
- High-value goods (above a certain limit set by the retailer) must be exported in your hand luggage.
- Not all goods qualify for VAT refund, notably cars and personal export items that will be exported after three months.
- Services, such as hotel stays, are not eligible for VAT refunds.
Getting a VAT refund for your purchases in the UK can significantly reduce your overall expenditure, making it a worthy endeavor for eligible travelers. With this guide, you can navigate the VAT refund process at Heathrow Airport with ease and confidence. So, indulge in a shopping spree on your next UK visit, and remember, a part of what you spend can come right back to you!
Maximize your shopping experience in the UK! Discover how to claim your VAT refund at Heathrow. #UKTravel #VATRefund #TravelTips #HeathrowAirport